Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Happy 70th Birthday - Back to the Blog

There is a LOT to say. I have not written on this blog in a long time. Each day I regret that I don't write down all of the amazing things my son says, the dumb things my daughters do, and all the crazy ideas I have. But today I come back to my old stomping grounds to say something about my Dad. It's his 70th birthday. On my mom's 70th birthday, we threw her this awesome party with a Salsa band, and the whole family came out to celebrate. We don't have a big hulabaloo planned for my pops, but he deserves a bit of recognition. My dad is the guy who: - Was the best dad you could ask for. Free reign on sweets and tv. - Was the carpool guy all through school. I mean, if you were my friend he has given you a ride somewhere. For sure. - Took us on some very basic AAA vacations that were absolutely unforgettable. - Supported my mom to make hundreds of tamales for each birthday party. - Sent and still sends snail mail, not only to me but to friends around the country. - Continues to wash dishes at my house for me way too often. - Can be a bit of a jerk, but aren't we all. - Loves scotchmallows. - Does not give a *&#! about ANYTHING people say. - Cries like a baby during Last of the Mohicans. - Loves my children with a very special unconditional love. It is a love that surpasses that of his wife and his own children. (maybe not more than Cathie - but real close!) - Is stubborn as can be. - Makes new years resolutions that he breaks around January 6th. - At the drop of a hat will help me. - Has a hard head but the empathy of a saint. - Showed me that feelings are just that - feelings. No big deal. - Lives his own life according to his own rules. - Is my son's #1 person. (He ranks me around #3) - Is my confidant. A pal and a confidant. - I owe my entire being to. So, Dad - I know you're reading. I want to thank you for making me. You and mom did a good job. Thank you for giving me and Cathie an amazing childhood, where you sheltered us from the world and led us to think that Nintendo and having fun was a valid way of life. Thank you for keeping us safe. Thanks for trusting us. Thanks for letting mom trust me even though she should not have. Thanks for piano lessons. Thanks for making us listen to Rocky Horror on Cassette tape. Thanks for teaching me to drive. For taking me on the 110 freeway first. But more than anything, Thank YOU for being the best grandpa. Thank you for giving my kids something so special. All the things you do with them, which are too many to list are what make you the living saint that you are. As much of a jerk I can say that you are, if you were not a jerk, or a Horlick, you would not be the best dad. So thanks dad. I love you once, I love you twice, I love you more than beans and rice.

No comments: